Thursday 19 September 2013

Glen Nevis

Friday 7th June 2013

On the last day of my holiday in Scotland all I had to do was walk along the entire length of Glen Nevis, but first I had to get to Glen Nevis. The weather on this walk was sensational, and was actually a bit too hot for the walking that I was doing. After the cold and wet weather of the first week of my holiday, the weather just got better and better as the second week progressed, ending in the baking conditions of this walk. After a relaxing evening spent in the stunning Staoineag bothy, I eventually tore myself away from the idyllic spot and set off along the picturesque, wildlife-filled valley of the Abhainn Rath. Ahead of me were the mountains of Glen Nevis, most notably Ben Nevis, and they soon started to attract my attention, however the initial interest of the wildlife and distant mountain views soon faded as I entered a wide, boggy area near another bothy, Meanach. I visited quite a few bothies on this holiday (and stayed in two of them), so I couldn’t resist having a look in this one before continuing along the valley on the northern bank of the Abhainn Rath.

The walk was now just a hard slog up a dreary valley, but with views of the Grey Corries to my right that reminded me of one of my most memorable walks when I traversed the entire length of those white stone-topped mountains in excellent weather. Under the shadow of the mountains, the Abhainn Rath turned north into the heart of the Grey Corries in Corrie Rath, while I passed over the top of the pass into Glen Nevis. There was little sign of a path at this point so I had try and find my own way across the undulating terrain until a faint path eventually emerged. This was a tiring stage of the walk, but I just had to keep going and things eventually started to improve. To my left the Mamores, a fabulous range of mountains linked by high ridges, started to come into view and, as the Grey Corries slipped past, the southern buttresses of Aonach Beag came dramatically into view. I was walking past the stunning sight as some of the greatest mountain ranges in Scotland, while spotted-orchids could be seen at my feet beside the path.

Eventually I reached the beautiful Steall meadow with the tall An Steall waterfall as its backdrop and I couldn’t resist stopping there to take in the stunning surroundings and have my lunch. I thought I had passed through this place many times before, but when I tried to think about the last time I had been there I was shocked to realise that I hadn’t been to Steall meadow since 2006. I had really wanted to visit the meadow last year, but I had been thwarted by fatigue so this three day walk from Dalwhinnie railway station all the way to Fort William was deliberately devised just so I could visit Steall meadow and the Nevis Gorge. My memory of the Steall meadow is different to what I found as I remember the grass being shorter, almost park-like, but now the meadow was in a wilder, more natural state.

In all my previous visits to Steall meadow I had avoided the wire bridge that crosses the River Nevis, preferring to wade across the river rather than take the perilous crossing. The thought of crossing a bridge made of nothing more than a metal rope didn’t really appeal to me, but as I sat eating my lunch while watching other people crossing the bridge I decided that it was about time I put this demon to rest. After lunch I got up and started to cross the bridge with my eyes locked onto the wire just a metre ahead of me as I slowly made my way across the bridge, nerves jangling with every step. Once I got to the other side of the river I definitely did not want to return across the bridge so in honour of my usual method of crossing the River Nevis I waded across and got my feet wet. To finally leave Steall meadow, I took the fabulous path through the stunning Nevis Gorge. The John Muir Trust carried out some repair work to the path recently and I was afraid that they had tamed and ruined it, but not a bit of it. It is still a fabulous path, just as rugged and uneven as it always has been as it plunges through the deep, tree-lined gorge.

I had wanted to go through the Nevis Gorge for ages and it was great to finally be able to return to this wonderful area and walk along the fantastic path through the gorge. On the other side I walked along the road for a short distance before taking a path through woodland bedecked with bluebells on the southern bank of the River Nevis that took me back onto the road at the lower falls of Glen Nevis. My three day walk was still not completed as I had to get to Fort William and for that a stroll through the conifer plantations of the Nevis Forest finally took me all the way into Fort William and the end of the walk. Since the Glen Nevis Youth Hostel was fully booked, I had to catch a train south to Crianlarich, but that didn’t bother me as this is now the third year in a row that I have finished my holiday in Crianlarich and I am beginning to prefer it.

This was a fantastic holiday when I can honestly say that I enjoyed every moment. It was definitely different to how I usually do my holidays in Scotland, for example, I’d never taken a tent before, or stayed in bothies. I found that I gained a much greater sense of freedom with a tent, especially when doing long distance walks, but I should not forget about mountains as the day before this walk proved. I did not go up enough mountains on this holiday. I had planned to go up more mountains than I eventually did, Beinn A’ Ghlo, Mayar, Driesh, and Ben MacDui were all planned to be climbed, but for various reasons I did not. Other problems on this holiday was my woefully inadequate rucksack (already mentioned many times previously) and my boots that slowly began to fall to bits towards the end of the holiday with the soles hanging off by the time I reached Fort William. They were very old having been used on many great walks, but finally met their maker after this holiday. They had a great end.

No comments: