Wednesday 23 July 2008

Bla Bheinn

Thursday 3rd July 2008

During a rest day I travelled to the Isle of Skye where I spent a whole week’s holiday last year with rather poor weather put a downer on the walks that I did in the awesome Cuillin. This year however the weather improved markedly and gave me a brilliant walk on a fine mountain with amazing views of the Cuillin Hills. To start I caught a bus to a track near the village of Kilmarie which I followed across the countryside over a low shoulder to reveal my first stunning views of the Cuillin. Breaking off from the track I followed a path across the stream, Abhainn nan Leac, and up onto the south ridge of Bla Bheinn.

Once I had climbed up the grassy slopes and around to the top of the ridge the view of the Cuillin got even better as I was now able to see over the top of Skurr na Stri and provide me with a much better view of the whole Cuillin range. Clouds on some of the tops gradually lifted during the climb to ensure that my eyes were constantly veering to the left. I was absolutely overcome by the sight of these hills that are the most rugged and dramatic in Britain, and were constantly drawing my attention away from the ridge I was walking up, which is a great shame as the ridge is fantastic. I was climbing up wonderfully rugged slopes with scrambling opportunities whenever I wanted them but always with a clear path that avoided any difficulties. Near the top I was enveloped by mist that blocked my view of the Cuillin and forced me to turn my attention to the ridge I was climbing all the way up to the south top of Bla Bheinn. The summit, across a short gap, proved to be quite a challenge to cross. I hadn't needed to do any scrambling on the way up, but now to get to the summit I would have to scramble down a rather exposed rock face. After a few hair-raising moments I managed to descend the steep rock face, cross the col and up to the summit.
I had lunch in brilliant sunshine and admired the views all around me while despairing at how busy the summit was becoming. All week I'd had the hills pretty much to myself so it was a bit of a shock to have to share this summit with as many as ten people, especially as I hadn’t seen anyone on my ascent (there is an easier route up than the one I had taken). Still, it’s not like the hundred people who would be at the top of Snowdon. After lunch I left the crowds behind and crossed back to the southern top, which of course required that I scramble up that tricky section again. Somehow it seemed even more difficult going up than down, but the knowledge that I’d successfully gone down resolved me to accomplish the climb. Once back at the top I started the long drop to the bottom down the really steep south-eastern slopes. Fortunately there was a clear path that zigzagged down the scree so the descent was not too difficult and I was able to take my time as I crossed the col at the bottom while gazing in awe at the huge cliffs and rock architecture of Fionna Choire that was an inspiring sight and awed with every look. A short rock climb brought me up to the top of Slat Bheinn which is a broad angled plain littered with boulders and ponds and provided me with a prolonged descent in glorious weather and through stunning scenery.

Eventually I reached the track that I took on ascent and followed this to the road where I caught the bus back to the youth hostel. Blaven is a relatively easy mountain to walk up, though for Skye any mountain you can walk up is relatively easy! This mountain has easy enough paths from a road that is not too far away which makes it easily accessible to most people, and yet is still really rugged and typical of the main Cuillin ridge in many places. Despite its easy paths the northern side of the mountain is totally inaccessible to anyone except the most skilled rock-climbers. Blaven is a rough, rugged mountain that is happy to allow anyone onto its back, in sharp contrast to the Cuillin, which are a rather exclusive set of mountains. Apart from one or two exceptions they are very elusive and difficult to climb; you can look at them from afar but you can’t come any closer or you will find some really hair-raising terrain that prevents all but the most committed from venturing up to the ridge. Blaven, though, takes all comers, like a jolly old Grandfather.

This walk was ultimately rather short, partly as a result of the bus timetable that demanded that I start at 10.30 and finish at 5.15, but it was still quite enjoyable. It was a good walk on a great mountain with a good rocky climb up a great ridge with some amazing views. The ridge may not have been as narrow as the fantastic ridges in Glen Shiel that I’d been on earlier in the week, but it was still a good rugged walk, however my attention was rather too distracted by the Cuillin, which detracted my attention from the mountain I was actually on. I think ultimately my problem with this walk was that I only went up one mountain, one Munro. Usually my walks will encompass several hills, and when in Scotland that is usually two Munros, but in fact this week I only gone up one Munro each day and on the final walk the next day I didn’t go up any. Is that the reason for my gloomy mood as I walked back down to the road? I don’t know, because the weather was fantastic which would usually provide you with an enjoyable day in the hills.

1 comment:

Carol said...

You're braver than me if you did that scramble between the South and main summits! I did the main summit up the (horribly loose) usual path and am going to do the South Ridge on another day via the excellent south ridge :-)
Carol.