Wednesday 19 September 2007

Aira Force & Glencoyne Head

Saturday 27th May 2006

I spent the morning of this walk travelling to Penrith and then I had to wait an hour for the bus with the upshot being that I didn't start walking until almost two in the afternoon. Despite the lateness of the start and the poor condition of the weather I had a good walk in an area of the Lakes that I hadn't walked before. I'd planned two different walks for this day (the other being up Birkhouse Moor and down Catstye Cam), but the rain in Penrith convinced me that my wet weather alternative was needed. Getting off the bus at Park Brow Foot I followed a clear path beside the river up to Aira Force, a spectacular waterfall in a narrow rocky gully. I had never seen it before so I was really glad I'd been able to include it in my schedule as it is quite a sight and I was doubly blessed with a little sunshine while there.

Not wanting to linger too long I headed off to a nearby carpark, and crossing the road I took a footpath opposite up the hillside. Following this path I slowly climbed to the top of Brown Hills with stunning views of Ullswater following me all the way up. After a hard slog in rain onto the top I passed into Glencoyne and proceeded around the side of valley to the very end under the huge barrier of Glencoyne Head. A cunningly constructed path clings to the side of the hill as I slowly climbed across the face of the buttress up to Nick Head. The rain had now stopped and sheltered from the wind with fantastic views across Ullswater, I was having a really enjoyable time.
Descending from the col I arrived at the desolation left from the disused Greenside Mine. Passing the slag heaps I arrived at the edge of Glenridding to stunning views up and down the valley. The sun had now come out and I was rewarded with a pleasant end to the day. Basking in the sun and the gorgeous views I descended the zigzags, which seemed to be a lot greener than the last time I had been there (though maybe that was just me). Crossing the bridge at the bottom of the valley I followed the course of an old leat across the face of Birkhouse Moor to Mires Beck, enjoying a fun little scramble at the end as it crosses the crags below the north-eastern ridge of Birkhouse Moor. After crossing the stream I headed over the top of the hill and down into Grisedale. A short walk along the edge of Glenamara Park took me to my destination and base for the next three days: Patterdale.

No comments: